Connecting around assumptions

Week Against Racism 2019 is getting to an end. What a week! StepEurope has this year been actively involved in the campaign through the events Painting Assumptions and Rasismi veks! Here are some thoughts from the week:

Work-try-out intern Noora: ”Speaking on a platform about issues of equality in Turku, in fields of education, work, and general life in Turku, was a refreshing experience for me. I was very happy to connect with other panelists on personal experiences we´ve faced in our time of living in Finland. I loved all the excellent points and perspectives each has put forward during the discussion.”

”I was quite pleased with the result of the Assumptions canvas! Seeing so many people from different backgrounds, cultures and perspectives, share their point of view of the concept was an eye opening activity. I am happy with the enthusiasm they gave towards contributing in it and to sharing heir ideas and putting their creativity in communicating it.”


Student intern Suvi: ”The amazing thing about the events was that we reached so many people in different ages and with different backgrounds. People opened up about their own experiences and opinions about assumptions around the community art.”

”A woman with a guide dog showed up. She told about her own experiences of assumptions against herself but also her dog. Some might assume the dog as dirty and aggressive, even if it is doing valuable work. At the event, the dog Molli marked the community art with her pawn.”


Some topics discussed during the events (some are translated from Finnish):

”People often get surprised over that I speak fluently in Finnish. I´m Finnish, even if I don´t look like that to many. All Finnish people don´t look the same, so why create criteria?”

”This made me think about how easy it is to assume things, even if you would think you´re open-minded.”

”It is stupid, that some assume things about me only according to my clothing style or hair color.”

”I´m assumed to look like a bullier. Many expect me to be dull or mean.”

”Why value people? We are all the same, why do people get treated as better than others?”

”People assume that I use hijab, because I have to.”

”People think I must know someone just because they are also from Iraq.”

”If all people would be kind to each other and open to differences, we wouldn´t even need Week Against Racism.”



Comments