Experiences that show the way


We are where we are, probably because of many reasons. I find it amusing, to think about why sometimes. One experience that I had, already some time ago, I like to think affected the reason where I am right now. I wanted something different and decided to look for opportunities to do an internship in Asia as a community education student. I ended up in Thailand, working at a non-governmental organisation for three months.


I was in Asia for the first time, it was different, exciting and frightening at the same time. But I fell in love with the warm weather, kind people and delicious food, right away. I was living and working in a big city, popular among tourists. Life changed to teaching children English during the day and eating fried rice at the street in the night, in between trying to learn Thai and exploring the environment. 


This experience was valuable in many ways. The organisation was a place where people from different countries and cultures met with the same mission, to create a better future by protecting those who are marginalized regardless of their race, age or religion. This environment taught me so much about life and it's vulnerability, about different ways of thinking and doing things. All challenging and changing my own way of living, acting and thinking. 


A great way to explore cultures and different ways of thinking and living is participating in international trainings. One of StepEurope's missions is to offer this kind of opportunities for everyone that are interested. Next summer the organisation will be hosting a training called Celebrating Diversity, in Turku. Keep tuned in about opportunities to volunteer and participate in future trainings.

Enjoy your day!

Ira, work-try out intern

Comments